Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cooking the Perfect Turkey


I don't know if my experience is the best or not, but I have had an excellent experience with cooking my turkey in two ways.  My most favorite way is in the November 2010 issue of Acreage Life Magazine. In this method, I cover the breast with cheesecloth and then basted with a delicious concoction of herbs, butter, wine, and broth. My turkey turns out so moist and the gravy is so tasty that I almost never have any leftover.  Anyone who comes to my house for Thanksgiving is a true-blue gravy hound, and they know that everything will be homemade.

Another method of making a truly delicious and moist turkey is to bake the turkey breast side down. This keeps the breast meat very moist and does not allow it to dry out. The only drawback to this method is that the turkey doesn't present as well, the breast will usually have rack marks on it.  You might need to decide if you want moist turkey or a beautiful turkey!

I've recently heard about dry-brining a turkey. I am going to try that and I'll let you know my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment