Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Apple Scone Cake

I made this Apple Scone Cake from a recipe I got some years ago, and I can't track it down.  When I do, I'll let you know who originated the idea.

Anyway, I use this when I need to use up some apples, or when I want something hot, sweet, and gooey for breakfast, or something cold, sweet, and gooey with my tea in the afternoon.

First I make my basic scone recipe, divide it in two, place the apples inbetween the two layers and bake until it is warm and gooey.  Something about the word "gooey" is appealing to me today.

Ingredients:
  • 2-3/4 c. flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla sugar from yesterday's post would do very nicely
  • 2 eggs, divided
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2-3 cups cubed apples
  • scant 1/4 teaspoon cloves
Directions:
  1. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
  2. Blend in the butter, I use a fork and mix until it is well incorporated.
  3. Add 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk into the center of the flour mixture and beat slightly.
  4. Add milk and make a very soft dough-like batter, but take care not to mix too much.
  5. Divide the batter in two and press one half into the bottom of a glass baking dish.
  6. Top with the cubed apples, sprinkle with just a little additional sugar and use your fingers to sprinkle the very tiny bit of cloves on top.  You just want a hint of clove.
  7. Cover with the remaining batter, and spread it over the top as well as you can.  
  8. Brush with the remaining egg white and sprinkle the top with coarse sugar that you can get at cake decorating shops.
  9. Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.  
  10. Serve warm with cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment